Sigma Pi Sigma Undergraduate Research Awards
Recipients: 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 & Previous
Proposals due November 15
Program Flyer (PLEASE POST)
The Sigma Pi Sigma Undergraduate Research Award program provides calendar year grants to support local chapter activities that are deemed imaginative and likely to contribute to the strengthening of the SPS program. These activities are usually research projects but might include other worthwhile activities. See examples of projects that were funded in 2013 here.
Award at a Glance
- Several awards of up to $2000 may be made each year to SPS chapters
- Awarded to chapters for chapter physics research projects
- Applicants must be SPS chapters in good standing with the SPS national organization (Although the award is called the ΣΠΣ Undergraduate Research Award, it is awarded to SPS chapters. The funding comes from ΣΠΣ.).
- The project leader must be a student that is a member of the SPS national organization.
- Chapters must complete the application form located in the online FluidReview system, https://aipsps.fluidreview.com, no later than November 15 (only one ΣΠΣ Undergraduate Research Award proposal per chapter will be accepted).
- Although approval from the SPS Chapter Advisor is required, the planning and writing of the proposal are the responsibility of the SPS student members.
- To complete the application, chapters must upload a proposal and budget detailing their proposed activity; chapters should follow the guidelines provided in the proposal templates below when constructing their proposals.
How to Use SPS Award Templates
SPS award templates are designed to help chapters craft effective proposals and reports and enable SPS Award reviewers to better compare proposals to each other. Chapters do not need to submit award proposals and reports with the same formatting as the templates, but they can. Chapters that plan to use their own formatting should read through the template in detail before writing the proposal to learn exactly what should be included. Chapters that plan to use the formatting in the template should read through the template in detail, then simply add their own text under each heading and delete the explanatory text (in purple). Please contact the SPS National Office, SPS-Programs@aip.org if you need a template in another format.
From among the proposals submitted by chapters, a panel of reviewers selects several of the most meritorious for ΣΠΣ Undergraduate Research Awards. Honorable mentions may be made.
Details for Awardees
- Awardees are required to log back into the FluidReview system to upload a group picture, submit the Tax Id Number for their institution, and input press contacts at their institutions in order to accept their award.
- Upon acceptance of the award, a check is sent to the SPS chapter with the understanding that the funds are to be used for the purpose set forth in the successful proposal.
- Awardees must submit an interim report by May 31 of the academic year in which they receive the award.
- Awardees must submit a final report by the December 31 following the grant approval (giving awardees approximately one calendar year to complete the project), or they may be asked to return the funding.
- At the conclusion of the project, awardees can request up to $500.00 to support sending a member to a professional conference to deliver a paper on the research work.
Please address questions related to this award to SPS-Programs@aip.org.